Friday, August 13, 2010

"Well, they used to have dogs, but I think they ate them...I don't see them any more"

A co-worker and I live in the same village and after we were out running errands or something (I don't remember exactly why we were in the car together) we drove through the entrance to our village. Along side the entrance is what seems to be a construction company office or something. There is a fenced in area with some heavy machinery. Anyways, as we drove past, my co-worker casually said, "Well, they used to have dogs, but I think they ate them...I don't see them any more. I used to play with them on my way to work and now they are gone." My reply, "Oh, that's too bad....WAIT! WHAT?!?!"

He went on to explain to me that dogs are sometimes eaten in the winter by Chinese people because they believe dog meat brings them warmth. I couldn't believe it, I always thought it was just something Westerners joked about, but to actually hear about it being true was mind boggling for me.

As I was looking at a bulletin board in my office building, I saw that somebody had posted a copy of a cutting from a news paper about a dog farm in China and how they raise dogs for human consumption. If I can't eat chicken feet I sure wouldn't be able to eat dog.

Recently, I have seen dogs again at the construction office and I hope they aren't feeding them out for Christmas dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment