Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Best Smelling Place in Hong Kong (That I've Found So Far)

Recently I talked about a town that smelled horrible and about some bad pollution that I have seen while in Hong Kong. Coincidentally, the place that I have found to smell the best and be one of the most beautiful, is in the same town!

A couple weekends ago I made a trip down to the Mong Kok Flower Market to get some plants for my bare apartment. I took the train down and had to follow a few signs out of the station to begin finding my way, and as soon as I got on street level, it wasn't hard to find. I just walked the opposite way of all the people who were carrying fresh cut flowers and other plants.

The flower market is a few blocks long full of vendors selling all sorts of fresh cut flowers, flower arrangements, and many live plants. Orchids were abundant to buy in this market as well as bonsai trees, palms, pitcher plants, and other strange looking plants I had never seen before. Orchids in full bloom were quite cheap starting at about $6.50 USD and going up to as much as $32.00+ USD.

I picked up a few orchids and a water plant for myself but decided to take a taxi back to my house as I didn't want to damage them on the train. So far, I have not killed them which is quite an accomplishment for me. Below are a few pictures from the Flower Market:
Flower Market from above.

Some strange looking plant.
Orchid store where I bought some of my orchids from.
Neat colored cut flowers. Very interesting store with lots of statues and figurines.

No comments:

Post a Comment