Friday, June 18, 2010

Instant Coffee From A Tea Pot


In the States, I had grown so accustomed to the traditional amenities of a hotel, that I didn't even think too much about them until I came to Hong Kong. I can't speak for every hotel here, but I can say that my room in the Club was much different than many other hotels.

First off, there was no coffee pot. After being on a plane for 20 some odd hours, being flown half way around the world and a strange night of sleep, I wanted some coffee to start my first day at work successful, and awake. However, instead of a coffee pot, they gave me this nice little electric tea pot type deal. I had to fill it up with water, then there was a heating element inside that, when turned on, would bring the water to a boil. There were little packets of instant coffee, green tea, and some other type of tea you could use to make your morning drink. I poured the instant coffee in to my tea cup, poured my boiling water over it and then proceeded to burn the heck out of my mouth.



The second thing I noticed about my room was the light switches. In the US up is on and down is off, which is just the opposite here. The traditional light switch is also very small here, about the size of the button on your pants.

Another observation I made was the shower. It was not designed for someone of my height. The shower head was like a wand that you can move wherever, but at its highest point, reached somewhere around my shoulder and neck region so I had to squat down to shower. My shower in my apartment is much more height friendly. The water pressure here is amazing. If you turn a shower on full bore, it is almost painful to take a shower. In my apartment, I have an instant water heater, which I am assuming is to save space and be more efficient. So, first thing in the morning I turn the heater on, wait a few minutes, then get in the shower and have almost unlimited hot water. Then after the shower I just turn it off and it saves electricity and space.

No comments:

Post a Comment