Sunday, June 27, 2010

Be Careful When Shopping

I always thought it was strange to see the shopping centers at school that would cater to people with different food tastes. I had stopped in a Asian supermarket while I was at school just to see what it was and I thought it was very strange. The food looked very different and all the tags were written in a strange language. Well, now I have to shop at the Asian supermarkets.

My first time shopping here I went with a friend who has a car, which makes shopping so much easier. He helped me pick out some food that he said he likes and I was able to find some things that were normal. I was able to buy instant noodles and Mt. Dew and some other foods I was accustomed to back in the States. Some things my friend would just pick up and tell me he likes them so I trusted him and let him put it in my cart. After I got home and was unpacking my food, I realized one of the things in my cart was Conch Shell meat and baby octopus. These two foods did not really excite me, but I was hungry and thought I'd give it a try. I opened it up, took one bite, and that was it. My stomach did not like it at all!!!

I have now started at shopping in an international food market which is pretty nice. I normally buy things like hot dogs and sausages and can buy some cuts of meat, but the nice meat is very expensive. I can also find chips, candy, noodles, bread, peanut butter, and eggs. It is very much like the type of diet I had in school. Some of my food is limited by the fact that I only have a cooktop and a microwave, so I can't cook anything that would need to be baked in an oven.

The fruits and vegetables are very cheap here and I have been trying some new kinds. My favorite so far is called Dragon Fruit. It has a very unique outside and the actual fruit on the inside is very nice. The fruit has a texture like a soft strawberry and it is pretty sweet. They are best served cut up like an apple, or if you are very good, they can be sliced then pealed.


A dragon fruit sliced open. The fruit is slightly bigger than a baseball, and is very filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment