Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Just Back From China Pt. 1

My friends always ask me, "Hows China?" I always reply with saying that I don't know, because I haven't been there and then try to tell them about how Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of China, blah de blah blah blah.....

Anyways, I purchased a Visa a while back and finally got around to organizing a trip to Hainan Island, China. I'll write about my trip in three parts: 1) Golf Courses 2) Golf Courses 3) Culture and places I visited.

I flew out of Shenzhen Airport which is closer, and much cheaper, for me than to fly out of Hong Kong Airport. It was not too far over the border when I realized it was a much different place than Hong Kong. I had no trouble crossing the border and it actually went quite smoothly. The first big thing I noticed though was when I got in a taxi from the border to the airport. It felt odd, and familiar and it wasn't for a few miles until I fully realized what it was: China drives on the right hand side of the road, in vehicles with steering wheels on the left side of the vehicle, just like in the States. It was strange being in this vehicle as it did really feel wrong to be driving on the right hand side of the road, but the car felt comfortable to be in.

My flight was a red eye flight departing Shenzhen around 8PM and landed some time around 10PM I believe. I slept some on the flight which was nice. A driver was arranged to pick me up at the airport and he was easy to find. He was a 6'0" Chinese man named "Tiger." He was pretty easy to spot in the crowd. He took me to a friends house where I was staying for the night. His driving was much different than in HK, but I'll explain that more in my next post.

For the first part of my stay, I was staying with the superintendent of the Yalong Bay Golf Club. I knew him through friends I had at my current place of employment and had met him many times before. His course was truly amazing! I love courses with lots of water and palm trees and coconut trees and these were all very present at Yalong Bay.
The entrance to the Clubhouse (below) was extraordinarily beautiful. It was huge, full of the sound of flowing water, and with the visual effect, and the landscaping was great. I love the style of buildings in tropical climates as you can't tell whether you are inside, or outside, or in some type of alley, and it creates this illusion of openness. This was exactly how the anteroom to the foyer was. I could not recall if this was a completely closed in room, or if it was just a very open one with large open windows and doors that allowed breezes to come in. As you crossed in to the main lobby there were fountains running on the floor that gave the impression of the real floor being bordered by liquid floors. A few Koi swam in these great fountains. Behind the main counter (and in the anteroom) there were huge saltwater fish tanks, with the one behind the main counter reaching heights of 8-10 feet and possibly twice as wide. The dining facilities were decorated in traditional Chinese decor and were a very warm, welcoming place. There was a huge outside patio that also allowed for dining as well.

The course was in great condition, considering the 36" of rain they had not too long ago in about an eight day time period. The course was nicely laid out and was exceptionally clean and tight and also hosts many major events.

Every good golf course has to have a dog, and Yalong Bay is where "Zeek" calls home. Zeek is a young black lab (I believe) who has lived at the course for a short period of time. He is very well trained, but like all dogs, he loves to run and have fun. His favorite past time is chasing a frisbee on the fairways.
One thing I found interesting and fun was the superintendent's golf cart. Recently, the course hosted a major ladies tournament and in preparation for the tournament, they painted a set of coconut tee markers pink. There was some left over pink paint, and the super decided he needed a new color of golf cart, so he now is the proud owner of a bright pink golf cart. It really matches his fun, outgoing, personality and he is quite proud of it.

The second day I was at the course I had the opportunity to play in a small golf tournament and I was paired with the Super, the GM of the local Ritz Carleton, and the GM of the local Renaissance hotel. I am not a good golfer, and was not prepared to do well. I haven't golfed in almost 6 months, so my first tee shot was not great. Actually, my first tee shot when right in to the tall hazard height grass, and the GM from the Ritz turns to look at me and asks, "You play much?" The obvious answer was no! At the end of the painful 18 holes, the Super jokingly says to me, "Boy, you took a lot of swings today." I'm not going to share what my score was, but it was in the triple digits. I would place money on the fact that my caddy was much better at golf than I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment